Please take note:
- Any building that is under the jurisdiction of the Georgia State Fire Marshal’s Office must still be submitted for review and approval to the Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s Office if the building is within Cherokee County.
- The Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s Office will charge a review fee for all reviews as stated in the fee schedule on this website.
- All plans must follow the normal submittal process for Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s Office.
The Fire Marshal's Office reviews Fire Alarm System plans for compliance with the 2012 edition of NFPA Standards 72 as amended by the 2014 amendments found in Chapter 120-3-3 (State Minimum Fire Safety Standards) as well as the Life Safety Code and Georgia Accessibility Code Section 120-3-20-.39. Plans are required to be submitted directly to the Fire Marshal's Office for review and approval prior to installation. You must pay for the review online. The method of payment and permit number will be emailed to you. Once the fees have been paid and the plans he been approved, the plans will be emailed back to you with a stamp of approval. Then you are to print the jobsite copy of the plans to keep on site, ( you can print as many sets as you need). The Fire Marshal's Office will not need a hard copy of the plans. Please fill out the Fire Marshal's Office Plan Review Request Form (Fillinable).
See Fire Alarm Requirements in Elevators for additional information.
The following is a list of items that will ensure a timely review of the fire alarm system plans:
- Manufacturer and model of the fire alarm panel and components. Provide copy of spec sheets for panel and all attached equipment
- Three sets of plans with the floor plan showing the scale uses. Please use one of the following: 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, or 1/16. All rooms are to be label and provided with room dimensions. Please provide:
- Equipment/symbol legend.
- Indicate on plans the number of devices.
- Device location (provide ceiling section when detectors are used). Indicate at devices the candela and decibels for the device.
- Type of devices provided and a detail of device wiring: detector, horn, flow, tamper, etc.
- Indicate fire alarm control and enunciator panel locations
- Indicate the type and gauge of wiring or cable used for the system.
- Provide a sectional view (s) of structure, roof and ceiling, etc for structures without flat ceilings.
- Provide riser diagrams with: # and type of devices per circuit, zone ID., clearly indicating type of circuit i.e. x, y, used in design.
- Provide a point to point wiring diagram of the system:
- Indicate number of conductors in each wire run.
- Identify zone/circuit and end of line device locations.
- Indicate the length of longest circuit and resistance of wire.
- Clearly indicate if system is a Central or Remote system.
- Provide information on method of sending signals to monitoring company. Show phone jacks and or wireless device location on plans. Phone jacks are to be marked and located on wall adjacent to FACP.
- Show means of activation of magnetic door-releasing hardware and /or any other devices controlled by the fire alarm system.
- Detectors used for elevator recall are connected to FACP.
- Speaker amplifiers and tone generating equipment integrity is to be monitored. Indicate this on plans.
- Provide battery calculation sheets.
Note: Prior to requesting an inspection of the fire alarm system the system is required to be fully tested and operational by the fire alarm installer. A copy of the Alarm Certification required by NFPA 72 and the fire codes is required to available at the inspection, preferably faxed to the office prior to the testing. The procedures and requirements for the Cherokee County Fire Marshal's Fire Alarm Acceptance Testing are available on this website. Please review to assist us in expediting your approval.