Cherokee County Fire & Emergency Services responded to a fire call yesterday afternoon at approximately 5 o’clock at The Atlantic Bridgemill Apartment Homes, located at 1000 Preston Glen Circle, at the 9000 section of the complex.
Cherokee County 911 had a caller who reported seeing smoke coming from building 9000. The caller also reported that alarms were going off and they were trying to get everyone out of the building. Cherokee County Fire Marshal, Chad Arp, stated the fire department was dispatched automatically by the fire alarm system and firefighters arrived and ensured the fire was fully extinguished and safe and mitigated all other hazards.
Property maintenance was quick to call in service clean-up, the fire sprinkler company and their electrician to start the clean-up and to ensure the fire protection systems were put back in service. “The fire was extinguished due to a single fire sprinkler head that was properly maintained along with all other fire protection systems. Fire sprinklers save lives,” added Arp.
Cherokee County Fire Investigator, Cheri Collett, stated that the fire started due to an electrical problem with a dryer in one of apartments on the second floor. Two apartments received minor damage and no injuries were reported. The Red Cross was notified to assist the families.