Reviews - Sprinkler Plan
The Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s Office (CCFMO) has a new plan review process. The way the plans have been submitted the Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s Office has changed and the plans will now be submitted online through the CityView portal under “apply for a building permit”.
If you need help please call 770-721-7812 or 770-721-7816.
There is a digital upload fee of $50.00
Please take note:
- Any building that is under the jurisdiction of the Georgia State Fire Marshal’s Office must still be submitted for review and approval to the Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s Office if the building is within Cherokee County.
- The Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s Office will charge a review fee for all reviews as stated in the fee schedule on this website.
- All plans must follow the normal submittal process for Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s Office.
The Fire Marshal's Office reviews Sprinkler System plans for compliance with the 2019 edition of NFPA Standards 13 and 13R, as amended by the 2020 amendments found in Chapter 120-3-3 (State Minimum Fire Safety Standards). Plans are required to be submitted directly to the Fire Marshal's Office for review and approval prior to installation (See Water Supply Requirements) . You must pay for the review online. The method of payment and permit number will be emailed to you. Once the fees have been paid and the plans have been approved, the plans will be emailed back to you with a stamp of approval. You are required to have a jobsite copy of the plans kept on site. The Fire Marshal's Office will not need a hard copy of the plans. Please submit application as well, click here for application.
See the Fire Marshal's Bulletin for information regarding the protection of Palletized Storage.
The following is a list of items that will ensure a timely review of the sprinkler system plans:
Site Plans for Reference
- Copy of Water flow test scanned and on plans. Water flow test must be complete within six months of submittal
- Indication of flow hydrants and test hydrant, pipe length, type pipe, pipe size, fittings, backflow devices, PIV, FDC and corresponding hydraulic nodes on underground piping and devices. Note: It is understood the sprinkler contractor is typically not the underground contractor, however the information above is required for review of the sprinkler system
- Indicate elevation of Base of Riser pad and test hydrant (residual hydrant). Note: Please contact FMO if elevation information is not available from water authority
- Underground pipe installation must comply with manufacturer's specification for installing and burying pipe
- Provide Thrust block details (see Cherokee Water and Sewer website for details on pipe installation)
- Building construction type
- Obstructed ceiling type construction
- Unobstructed ceiling type construction
- Indicate the number of sprinklers per riser, type of sprinkler head and/ spacing on plans (see NFPA 13 spacing requirements)
- Temperature rating of sprinkler heads
- 1/2 Spacing to walls or obstructions
- Indicate room use
- Riser details and/or standpipe details
- Hanger and trapeze details
- Detail of sprinkler breakovers and locations
- Minimum and maximum spacing requirements
- Locate any potential sprinkler discharge obstructions
- High pressure rod required for 100 psi static or greater pressures. (Hangers to be 12" from end)
- Proper underground installations
- Provide clearance around all sides of riser
- Indicate all gauges and mounted no higher than 6 ft
- Main drain
- Required signage indicated
- Indication of tampers and flows on all valves
- Clearly indicate sizing of pipes on plans
- Indicate pipe type
- Hangers 3 inch from centerline of uprights heads
- EOL supported 1 inch= 36 inch, 1-1/4 inch = 48 inch, 1-1/2 inch and larger = 60 inch
- Armovers =24 inch or 12 inch for 100 psi with rod down
- Support top of riser
- Provide a reflected ceiling plan for head placement
- Indicate the distance from ceiling to sprinkler head
- Indicate on plans when using the small room rule on plans
- Indicate the pitch of pipe per code
- Indicate if refrigerated areas need dry pendants with plug and drain
- Provide detail on dry pendant heads with sealing of roof details
- Indicate dry pipe air setting pressure for both high and low air
- Indicate ball drip at low point of FDC
- FDC and other fire protection equipment signed and/or labeled.
- Label all riser rooms or fire equipment rooms